Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Cinematheque Reviews: The Three Musketeers

I am going to begin this intro with a bang.  I quite enjoyed the latest adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' swashbuckling novel, The Three Musketeers.  Meanwhile, the vast majority of my critical compatriots have been calling the new Paul W. S. Anderson directed movie, one of the worst films of the year.  In fact the only critic I have seen that shares my overall enthusiasm for this movie is Jaime N. Christley over at Slant Magazine.  Otherwise, I am alone in a sea of.....well, you get the point.  I like the movie while almost everyone else runs the gamut from mild disdain to outright hatred.  Granted, it is not a great film, and it will not make my year-end Top Ten, but it is quite the enjoyable movie and very very fun - all to my own surprise mind you.  My review of said film is now up and running over at The Cinematheque.  Take a look when you can.


Here is a look at some of the film's rather steampunkish design aesthetic.  Milla Jovovich as Milady de Winter is another fine sight to see in this surprisingly enjoyable motion picture extravaganza, but I will leave her to the imagination (and/or your Googling talents or willingness to buy a ticket and go see the damn thing).

No comments: