Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Cinematheque Reviews: Moneyball

I love baseball.  I love all aspects of the game.  One of my favourite things about baseball, and the defining factor of why it is so much greater than any other sport (at least in my own mind), is the idea of the stat.  With a statistic for anything and everything, the science of sabermetrics has always fascinated me.  So I suppose with my love for the game combined with my (sort of) obsession with the statistical side of the sport, it was probably a forgone conclusion that I would find Moneyball as fascinating as I did.  An easy eventual member of my annual top ten list (tentatively it sits at the number two spot at this point, though my seeing LvT's Melancholia in just over twelve hours from now could drop it to number three) Moneyball, which also stars one of my favourite (underrated) actors, Brad Pitt, and is written by Steve Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin (natch!) is a quite superb film that sort of came out of (yeah, I'm going to say it) left field.  My review of the film (an existential baseball movie!?) is now up and running over at The Cinematheque.  Play ball (yeah, I said that too).


No comments: