Thursday, July 7, 2011

Anomalous Material Weekly Feature: 10 Best Movies About Movies

As you may already know, I now take up weekly residence over at the great film site Anomalous Material.  The fine folks over there have given me a regular weekly gig as feature writer (the fools!!).  It is a regular series of top ten lists on various cinematic subjects (and anyone who knows me can attest to how perfectly suited I am to such an endeavor - yes I am a list nerd).  This week's feature piece (my sixth such piece) is a look at movies about movies and/or moviemaking.  So "fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night." Okay that is a quote from a movie about the theater, but I like it and I'm using it.  To satisfy the purists out there, here is a quote from a film that actually made the list - "All right Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."  Anyway, read on true believers. 


As an added bonus, below is one of my favourite publicity stills from one of my favourite movies which incidentally did not make the list even though it is ostensibly about the movies.  It actually comes in at number eleven and was a final cut from the proceedings.  I of course regret this omission but then if I had put it in and left the other film that was battling for tenth place (and would finally get it) out, I would have regretted that as well.  Anyway, I love little Veronica Lake, so here she is (along with burly Joel McRea) in Preston Sturges' Sullivan's Travels.


2 comments:

Nathanael Hood said...

Great article! Although, I was broken-hearted at the lack of "Ed Wood" on that list.

Kevyn Knox said...

Thanx.

Yeah, several people told me that same thing. I would probably place Ed Wood at 13th or 14th place (after Sullivan's Travels at 11 and Barton Fink at 12, perhaps INLAND EMPIRE would sneak in there too).