Friday, October 8, 2010

Pre-Code Hollywood

Just to interrupt the day for a second or two, I am posting my choices for the 10 best Pre-Code Hollywood films.  The good folks over at the LAMB (Large Association of Movie Blogs for those who are not already acquainted) have handed out the assignment of naming your favourite/the best Pre-Code films.  As a long-admitted and well-established listoholic, I had no choice but to vote in this latest poll.  The full results will be posted sometime soon over at the LAMB, but for now I am putting my list out there for all to see (and scrutinize).  I made the list rather quickly, so I probably missed some films that deserved to be on here, but hey, c'est la vie.

1. Public Enemy 
2. Three on a Match
3. Blonde Venus
4. Baby Face
5. Gold Diggers of 1933
6. Wild Boys of the Road
7. Union Depot
8. The Strange Love of Molly Louvain
9. Blonde Crazy
10. Heroes For Sale

Runners-Up (in no particular order): Other Men's Women; Sinner's Holiday; Frisco Jenny; I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang; Big City Blues; Mexicali Rose; The Purchase Price; Broadway Babies.

While writing this, I realized I did make one pretty big omission - Howard Hawks' Scarface.  C'est la vie.  It belongs in a much larger stratosphere anyway.

I also realized that I must really like Joan Blondell (not that such a thing is much of a secret!) since she is in half of my top ten and another three runners-up - easily topping other favourites like Cagney, Stanwyck and Dvorak.  Of course Cagney is in three of those films with Blondell.


No comments: